new lph400 1.4 tip

technique.

Moderator: Hub

new lph400 1.4 tip

Postby Sandral » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello again Hub! So finally I received my gun and my compressor!! As we spoke I bought the california air tool 4hp, 17 gallon with 14 cfm @ 40 psi and 10.60 cfm@90psi. And then gun is the lph400 with a 1.4 tip. I installed an air regulator at the gun, and i am using the ops cup system ? [b]DID YOU MEAN PPS (3M)[/b].So I have a few questions. First, the compressor has a water trap,FOR THE TRAP TO BE EFFECTIVE IT NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST 25 FEET FROM THE COM PRESSOR GIVING THE AIR A CHANCE TO COOL AND CONDENSATE - WATER TRAPS ONLY REMOVE LIQUID OIL & WATER do I need one at the gun as well? NOT IF YOUR PIPING IS RIGHT The compressor is oiless, and for now I am only using water based paints. What should be the air pressure at the compressor- 80 PSI and how many at the gun? And lastly, which setup SEE BELOW do you recommend ? I am painting with acrylics that hace a low viscosity as I told you , that are used for airbrushing. Thank-you so much for your time and help! take care, Sandra

Suggested gun settings for low viscosity material (15 - 20 sec. on a ZAHN 2 VISCOSITY CUP - WHEN USING AN LPH400 1.4 (WHAT AIR CAP - DID U BUY ?)

SET MATERIAL CONTROL KNOB AT 2.5 - 3 FULL TURNS OPEN FROM THE CLOSED POSITION

WITH THE TRIGGER IN THE FULL BACK POSITION AND WITH AIR FLOWING THROUGH THE GUN & USING THE REGULATOR AT THE GUN SET THE INLET PRESSURE AT 12 TO 16 PSI

TO START - SET THE FAN CONTROL KNOB ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT - BECAUSE OF THE LOW VISCOSITY - THERE IS A LIKELY CHANCE THE SPRAY PATTERN WILL BE SPLIT - IF THIS HAPPENS THERE ARE TWO METHODS TO CORRECT !! YOUR CHOICE :arrow: EITHER LOWER THE INLET PRESSURE OR REDUCE THE SPRAY PATTERN SIZE.

SPRAY DISTANCE 8 - 10 INCHES

SPEED OF STROKE MEDIUM TO SLOW

SPRAY PATTERN OVER LAP

GIVE IT A TRY
Sandral
LPH-50

Re: new lph400 1.4 tip

Postby Hub » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:24 am

[quote="Sandral"]Hello again Hub! So finally I received my gun and my compressor!! As we spoke I bought the california air tool 4hp, 17 gallon with 14 cfm @ 40 psi and 10.60 cfm@90psi. And then gun is the lph400 with a 1.4 tip. I installed an air regulator at the gun, and i am using the ops cup system ? [b]DID YOU MEAN PPS (3M)[/b].So I have a few questions. First, the compressor has a water trap,FOR THE TRAP TO BE EFFECTIVE IT NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST 25 FEET FROM THE COM PRESSOR GIVING THE AIR A CHANCE TO COOL AND CONDENSATE - WATER TRAPS ONLY REMOVE LIQUID OIL & WATER do I need one at the gun as well? NOT IF YOUR PIPING IS RIGHT The compressor is oiless, and for now I am only using water based paints. What should be the air pressure at the compressor- 80 PSI and how many at the gun? And lastly, which setup SEE BELOW do you recommend ? I am painting with acrylics that hace a low viscosity as I told you , that are used for airbrushing. Thank-you so much for your time and help! take care, Sandra

Suggested gun settings for low viscosity material (15 - 20 sec. on a ZAHN 2 VISCOSITY CUP - WHEN USING AN LPH400 1.4 (WHAT AIR CAP - DID U BUY ?)

SET MATERIAL CONTROL KNOB AT 2.5 - 3 FULL TURNS OPEN FROM THE CLOSED POSITION

WITH THE TRIGGER IN THE FULL BACK POSITION AND WITH AIR FLOWING THROUGH THE GUN & USING THE REGULATOR AT THE GUN SET THE INLET PRESSURE AT 12 TO 16 PSI

TO START - SET THE FAN CONTROL KNOB ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT - BECAUSE OF THE LOW VISCOSITY - THERE IS A LIKELY CHANCE THE SPRAY PATTERN WILL BE SPLIT - IF THIS HAPPENS THERE ARE TWO METHODS TO CORRECT !! YOUR CHOICE :arrow: EITHER LOWER THE INLET PRESSURE OR REDUCE THE SPRAY PATTERN SIZE.

SPRAY DISTANCE 8 - 10 INCHES

SPEED OF STROKE MEDIUM TO SLOW

SPRAY PATTERN OVER LAP 60 - 70 %

GIVE IT A TRY

NORMALLY CAPS INDICATE ANGER BUT NOT IN THIS CASE - CAPS SIGNIFY ANSWERS OR SUGGESTIONS
Cheers,
"HUB" :mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Mon May 11, 2015 10:28 pm

Hello Hub and thank-you for you for all your help! The settings that uyou gave me are working pretty well. I have a few questions! Where should i leave the knob that controls the air coming into the gun? I understand that the air regulator at the gun should be between 12 to 16 psi, but the knob in the gun itself where should it be? Where should the pressure at the compressor should be, at 40 psi? And how often should I lube the gun and where? by the way i purchased the 1.4 air nozzle its a plain silver cap. Thanks again for all your advice!
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Tue May 12, 2015 4:29 am

Sandral wrote:Hello Hub and thank-you for you for all your help! The settings that uyou gave me are working pretty well. I have a few questions! Where should i leave the knob that controls the air coming into the gun? I understand that the air regulator at the gun should be between 12 to 16 psi, but the knob in the gun itself where should it be? Where should the pressure at the compressor should be, at 40 psi? And how often should I lube the gun and where? by the way i purchased the 1.4 air nozzle its a plain silver cap. Thanks again for all your advice!

Hello Sandra,
The air valve in the bottom of the gun handle should be full open - that would be turned all the way to the left :arrow: The one at the air compressor at 80 psi - to compensate for the drop in line pressure. :arrow: Lube the gun after every cleaning. :idea: I will E you a maintenance & lube guide.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Thank-you Hub for all your help!!! Everything seems to be working very well! I d o seem to get a lot of overspray! My studio space has a lot of dust from the spraying all over the place. I guess this is normal? Or maybe is it because the paint I am using has a very low viscicoity?
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:13 am

Sandral wrote:Thank-you Hub for all your help!!! Everything seems to be working very well! I d o seem to get a lot of overspray! My studio space has a lot of dust from the spraying all over the place. I guess this is normal? Or maybe is it because the paint I am using has a very low viscicoity?

Sandra, somethings you can try to cut down the over spray -One - Lower the atomizing air a few pounds -* 2 make sure you are perpendicular to the target * 3 shorten the spray distance * 4 increase your speed of stroke and *5 trigger the gun to make sure it is only delivering paint over the target.
Cheers,
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:09 am

Hello Hub! One question, i did not understand what you meant by triggering the gun to the target! your no 5 suggestion to lowering hairspray! can you please explain. Thanks!
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:07 am

Sandral wrote:Hello Hub! One question, i did not understand what you meant by triggering the gun to the target! your no 5 suggestion to lowering hairspray! can you please explain. Thanks!

Hi Sandra,
Sure, if paint is only being delivered while the gun is pointed at the surface and not over the edge or past the end of the panel. (Spraying into mid air)
Cheers,
"HUB " :mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:48 pm

oh ok! One last question, I hope! Do you by any chance have a manual on cleaning the gun? Like the one you sent me for lubing? Thanks!
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 am

Sandral wrote:oh ok! One last question, I hope! Do you by any chance have a manual on cleaning the gun? Like the one you sent me for lubing? Thanks!

Sorry, no manual, but I will share my percolating gun cleaning system with you, I think you'll like it. I will post it on your private E address within a day or two.
Cheers,
"HUB"
:mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Hub » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Hub wrote:
Sandral wrote:oh ok! One last question, I hope! Do you by any chance have a manual on cleaning the gun? Like the one you sent me for lubing? Thanks!

Sorry, no manual, but I will share my percolating gun cleaning system with you, I think you'll like it. I will post it on your private E address within a day or two.
Cheers,
"HUB"
:mrgreen:

Okay Sandra,
Give my PERCOLATING GUN SYSTEM A TRY

REMOVE ALL UNUSED PAINT FROM GUN & CUP - REPLACE WITH 1 OR 2 OUNCES OF CLEANING SOLVENT OR WHAT EVER YOU REDUCED THE PAINT WITH & PERCOLATE THE GUN BY LOOSENING THE AIR CAP TO THE POINT ITS ABOUT READY TO FALL OFF, ^^^SET THE INLET AIR AT 10 PSI OR LESS - THEN PULL THE TRIGGER FULL BACK TO THE MATERIAL STROKE THIS WILL FORE THE MATERIAL FROM THE GUN HEAD AND BACK INTO THE CUP. REPEAT UNTIL THE SOLVENT RUNS CLEAR. WIPE THE OUT SIDE OF THE GUN WITH SOLVENT. THEN BLOW OR WIPE DRY. LUBE THE GUN IN THE PROPER PLACES & YOUR READY FOR THE NEXT JOB.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Spraying