Reducing waterborne paint with alcohol to speed up drying

technique.

Moderator: Hub

Reducing waterborne paint with alcohol to speed up drying

Postby jimi001 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:52 am

Question, I heard many painters are using alcohol to reduce waterborne paint to increase dry time. When Reducing ppg envirobase paint, what type of alcohol would you reduce it with? Is it isopropyl alcohol? If so, which version would you use? The 71%, 93%, or the 99%? How much faster is the daytime by using alcohal? In compression to solvent paints, which is more flammable? Combustible?
Thanks everyone
jimi001
LPH-50

Re: Reducing waterborne paint with alcohol to speed up dryin

Postby Hub » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:54 am

jimi001 wrote:Question, I heard many painters are using alcohol to reduce waterborne paint to increase dry time. When Reducing ppg envirobase paint, what type of alcohol would you reduce it with? Is it isopropyl alcohol? If so, which version would you use? The 71%, 93%, or the 99%? How much faster is the daytime by using alcohal? In compression to solvent paints, which is more flammable? Combustible?
Thanks everyone

It will be interesting to see if anyone would come back with a recommendation :roll: - not me I wouldn't mess with that one, I learned a long time ago not to play field chemist. If you want a faster dry time use a smaller fluid nozzle.
Cheers & Good luck,
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Spraying