I'm glad I found my way back here!!

technique.

Moderator: Hub

I'm glad I found my way back here!!

Postby huffhound » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:34 pm

A few years back I posted a question that Hub helped me with. The advice was spot on and worked out perfectly.
Fast forward to now and I'm working on my 1970 C10. New paint, LS3 and a few other mods. Metal work is now done ... time for paint.
I'm using Summit SS again since the old school colors, hugger orange and white, look almost period correct on these oldies.
I applied urethane epoxy primer over everything and sanded any dust nibs that my painting always seems to attract.
My first attempts using my LPH400 LV (silver cap) had a heavy orange peel. I thought that since the temperature was 90+ and about 100% humidity here in Houston that it was drying even before it hit the metal.
Search the net for some gun set up, reducer and catalyst info. I thought I was in the ballpark but the next spray was at cooler temps and a hotter catalyst.
Still same finish.
Finally luckily I found the ASET site again and started reading up on gun settings. OMG...I was way off on the fluid amount and also setting the air pressure with the trigger pulled fully. I used the recommended settings found here. The spray I just completed looks almost perfect.... except for the required dust nibs :oops:

I'm extremely fortunate to "rediscover" this site before I got to spray the hood and truck bed. It's going to save me a lot of wet sanding time now that I have almost no orange peel. I'm planning to wet sand the SS to remove the nibs and give it a few coats of clear using the same gun setup and just a little added air pressure.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the members and moderators here for giving a complete novice like me the info I need to lay down some good looking paint and be able to step back and say...I did it!!

Thanks again
huffhound
LPH-50

Re: I'm glad I found my way back here!!

Postby Hub » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 am

huffhound wrote:A few years back I posted a question that Hub helped me with. The advice was spot on and worked out perfectly.
Fast forward to now and I'm working on my 1970 C10. New paint, LS3 and a few other mods. Metal work is now done ... time for paint.
I'm using Summit SS again since the old school colors, hugger orange and white, look almost period correct on these oldies.
I applied urethane epoxy primer over everything and sanded any dust nibs that my painting always seems to attract.
My first attempts using my LPH400 LV (silver cap) had a heavy orange peel. I thought that since the temperature was 90+ and about 100% humidity here in Houston that it was drying even before it hit the metal.
Search the net for some gun set up, reducer and catalyst info. I thought I was in the ballpark but the next spray was at cooler temps and a hotter catalyst.
Still same finish.
Finally luckily I found the ASET site again and started reading up on gun settings. OMG...I was way off on the fluid amount and also setting the air pressure with the trigger pulled fully. I used the recommended settings found here. The spray I just completed looks almost perfect.... except for the required dust nibs :oops:

I'm extremely fortunate to "rediscover" this site before I got to spray the hood and truck bed. It's going to save me a lot of wet sanding time now that I have almost no orange peel. I'm planning to wet sand the SS to remove the nibs and give it a few coats of clear using the same gun setup and just a little added air pressure.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the members and moderators here for giving a complete novice like me the info I need to lay down some good looking paint and be able to step back and say...I did it!!

Thanks again
HEY huffhound you just made my day THANK YOU 8) YOU JUST MADE MY DAY "HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Spraying