Clearing hoods

technique.

Moderator: Hub

Clearing hoods

Postby cmespray » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:47 pm

So I have a LS400 1.4 That I use for base and a WS400 1.4HD that I use for clearing. Guns are fairly new to me and its been a bit of a learning curve. I acheive excellent results with base, nice even metallics, no issues with striping on hoods etc.. Clearing..Sides of car lay out great, beautiful finish, getting use to the gun and really love it, however all my hoods seem to be to thick, orange peel etc.. I just cant seem to get the same finish on the hoods as with the rest of the panels, any Ideas?
i use PPG DC4000 clear and also the omni 270. Am I inadvertently changing my distance when I am doing the hoods? I am trying to watch my technique so i am not sure what is going on.

Any input is appreciated
cmespray
LPH-50

Re: Clearing hoods

Postby Hub » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:52 am

cmespray wrote:So I have a LS400 1.4 That I use for base and a WS400 1.4HD that I use for clearing. Guns are fairly new to me and its been a bit of a learning curve. I acheive excellent results with base, nice even metallics, no issues with striping on hoods etc.. Clearing..Sides of car lay out great, beautiful finish, getting use to the gun and really love it, however all my hoods seem to be to thick, orange peel etc.. I just cant seem to get the same finish on the hoods as with the rest of the panels, any Ideas?
i use PPG DC4000 clear and also the omni 270. Am I inadvertently changing my distance when I am doing the hoods? I am trying to watch my technique so i am not sure what is going on.

Any input is appreciated

Several things come to mined as you describe your dissatisfaction with the finishes on horizontal surfaces.

#1 - Wrong temperate range reducer and or hardener

#2 - When spraying horizontal surfaces we have a tendency to reach causing a non perpendicular attitude position to the panel - in essences the complete spray pattern is not hitting the target causing an uneven coat of paint and some unwanted texture.

#3 - Not likely to get a run on a horizontal surface so we get a little bit brave so we pile it on. Result the dreaded orange peel.

#4- Texture is considerably more visible on a horizontal surface.

Cheers,
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Re: Clearing hoods

Postby ky_1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:40 am

cmespray wrote:So I have a LS400 1.4 That I use for base and a WS400 1.4HD that I use for clearing. Guns are fairly new to me and its been a bit of a learning curve. I acheive excellent results with base, nice even metallics, no issues with striping on hoods etc.. Clearing..Sides of car lay out great, beautiful finish, getting use to the gun and really love it, however all my hoods seem to be to thick, orange peel etc.. I just cant seem to get the same finish on the hoods as with the rest of the panels, any Ideas?

Any input is appreciated

Ive been having the same issue with my 1.3hd and 1.4hd evo. EXCEPT for this last time when I took my gun to a friends shop. He is a VERY good veteran painter who uses SATA and Lesonal. We both sprayed a hood and the Lesonal clear laid down beautifully for both of us, even slightly better than a 5000 RP that I tested back to back.

So I get back to my shop, (500 miles southwest, FWIW) and clear a 74 Eldorado quarter and fender in HOK UFC35 "Flo-Klear" and still have same texture issues. The shop I work for normally sprays RM DC5335 glamour clear, occasionally DCU2002, and last 3 completes have been HOK UFC35. The RM is the hardest to make look nice. It develops nasty lumps if you lay it on thick to try to make it "flow out". I seem to have better results with getting 3-4" from panel and making fast, tight passes. It still doesnt look as nice as Ive seen other painters using this gun. It has me stumped. We have a large screw compressor and large dryer, high flow fittings, Ive tried PSI from 25-40, wide open fan to 2 turns out from closed.

I did clear the doors and trunk of the Eldorado with a w400 conventional 1.4 and it far exceeded the WS400 texture wise. I highly recommend a w400 conventional!
ky_1
LPH-50

Return to Spraying