ws400 evo 1.3 obs vs HD

technique.

Moderator: Hub

ws400 evo 1.3 obs vs HD

Postby jimi001 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello to all!Question hub,, I got a ws 400 evo with the 1.3 obs setup and I spary ppg shopline and deltron for base , and usc 10 for clearcoat. Im switching over to the usc 20 glamour which is low voc and high solids. When using the ws400 evo with the obs nozzle, you have to go real real slow to get a good lay down of the clear. I was very fortunate to get a 1.3 hd and boy did that make a difference! Now I have to move fast, which is great! Speedy! I use the same gun for base and clear, and when I use hd, it puts out alot of material and I have to wait longer for it to flash. My question is, can I use the obs for base only? Is it correct the 1.3 obs has a smaller opening that a regualr 1.3 and a 1.3 hd has a little bigger opening than regular 1.3? I even heard that the obs has a smaller tip than a standard 1.2, is this correct? If so, what effect Would that have spraying matalics? How about using it for pearls in a a 3 stage paint? How about using it with ppg's envirobase? The one thing im sure of, use the 1.3HD for clear. Thanks Hub.
Ps. Can I get a copy of the chop stick method?
jimi001
LPH-50

Re: ws400 evo 1.3 obs vs HD

Postby jimi001 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:35 am

I forgot' just a few more questions....:)
Would you spray 6-8 inches from the panel when shooting base like on the lph400? Or could you spray a little further out given the higher psi?

What gun settings would you recommend for shooting base ? Clearcoat?
Currently im spraying clear at 27psi inlet, fan all the way open, material 4 turns from close.
Base same thing but around 22psi. I live in VA so temp is around 50-90% humidity and about 82 degrees.

When using obs for clear, 29 psi fluid all the open, fan all the way open' 4-5 inches away from the substrate and move really slow overlapping 50%. Stopped using obs when i got the hd. But would still like to hear your expert opinion :)
jimi001
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:30 am

[quote="jimi001"]Hello to all!Question hub,, I got a ws 400 evo with the 1.3 obs setup and I spary ppg shopline and deltron for base , and usc 10 for clearcoat. Im switching over to the usc 20 glamour which is low voc and high solids. When using the ws400 evo with the obs nozzle, you have to go real real slow to get a good lay down of the clear. I was very fortunate to get a 1.3 hd and boy did that make a difference! Now I have to move fast, which is great! Speedy! I use the same gun for base and clear, and when I use hd, it puts out alot of material and I have to wait longer for it to flash. My question is, can I use the obs for base only? Is it correct the 1.3 obs has a smaller opening that a regualr 1.3 and a 1.3 hd has a little bigger opening than regular 1.3? I even heard that the obs has a smaller tip than a standard 1.2, is this correct? If so, what effect Would that have spraying matalics? How about using it for pearls in a a 3 stage paint? How about using it with ppg's envirobase? The one thing im sure of, use the 1.3HD for clear. Thanks Hub.
Ps. Can I get a copy of the chop stick method?[/quo

Hello Jim,
I f you like to spray fast and use one gun for both base and clear than the WS400 1.3 HD should be your choice - how ever your technique should be different for each. for base spray distance would be 6 - 8 inches and a fast stoke this will speed the dry time MAKE SURE TO DO AT LEAST A 70% PATTERN OVERLAP AND SPRAY PERPENDICULAR TO THe PANEL. With the clear 6 inches or less still the 70% and go as fast as you are comfortable with. Yes and the same set up for envirobase,
The fluid speed delivery between the OBS & the HD is a stretch the 1.2 HD delivers 40 more ml/per minute than the OBS 1.3 - the design of the fluid nozzle / air cap design creates a greater siphon affect, If you pin gauged the two fluid nozzles you'd find them to measure out as stated
The Chop Stick info is on its way'
Cheers,
"HUB" :mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Hub » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:55 am

jimi001 wrote:I forgot' just a few more questions....:)
Would you spray 6-8 inches from the panel when shooting base like on the lph400? Or could you spray a little further out given the higher psi?

What gun settings would you recommend for shooting base ? Clearcoat?
Currently im spraying clear at 27psi inlet, fan all the way open, material 4 turns from close.
Base same thing but around 22psi. I live in VA so temp is around 50-90% humidity and about 82 degrees.

When using obs for clear, 29 psi fluid all the open, fan all the way open' 4-5 inches away from the substrate and move really slow overlapping 50%. Stopped using obs when i got the hd. But would still like to hear your expert opinion :)
:arrow: These setting are okay but require you to go slow. For a little more speed set the spray pattern at 9 inches and increase the pattern overlap to 70%,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby jimi001 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks Hub! Really appreciate your feedback! I will make adjustments as per your instructions :) so what the heck should i do with the obs nozzle? Any use for it?
jimi001
LPH-50

Postby jimi001 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 pm

hub, what are your thoughts on doing a youtube channel? The sata guy has so many vids on youtube going over various topics from cleaning the gun, to air filtration, to spraying techniques and so forth. It would be really cool to see you demo spray techniques or just answer some questions for all of us iwata fans. I would be your first subscriber. Again thanks for the help!
jimi001
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:25 am

jimi001 wrote:Thanks Hub! Really appreciate your feedback! I will make adjustments as per your instructions :) so what the heck should i do with the obs nozzle? Any use for it?

Sure is,
If you have smaller jobs its perfect - you can use lower inlet pressure - hence less overspray - hard to reach places - like door jamms, fire wall, interiors and so on.
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Hub » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:29 am

jimi001 wrote:hub, what are your thoughts on doing a youtube channel? The sata guy has so many vids on youtube going over various topics from cleaning the gun, to air filtration, to spraying techniques and so forth. It would be really cool to see you demo spray techniques or just answer some questions for all of us iwata fans. I would be your first subscriber. Again thanks for the help!

Hey, we'll have to consider that - thanks for the idea,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby jimi001 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:59 am

I hope you really do consider the youtube channel, that would be awesome, not to mention the $$$$ you will make from ads once your channel takes off!, about the obs, how low would you set the inlet pressure given my spray technique? what technique would you recommend for those small jobs? by the way, im using your recommendations on the 1.3, and it works great, thanks AGAIN!
jimi001
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:51 am

jimi001 wrote:I hope you really do consider the youtube channel, that would be awesome, not to mention the $$$$ you will make from ads once your channel takes off!, about the obs, how low would you set the inlet pressure given my spray technique? what technique would you recommend for those small jobs? by the way, im using your recommendations on the 1.3, and it works great, thanks AGAIN!

Jim, how are you controlling the inlet pressure ? need to know this so we can set up the OBS properly
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby jimi001 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Hub,
I use the iwata ak1r regulator. I usually set the psi to about 44-55 on my rti eliminator 2 and set the gun regulator at about 29 psi for the obs spraying a regular pannel. I use 27 psi with with the hd 1 3. This is how I usually set the preassure. I figured let me try ro get the max cfm to the gun and I have been told at lower psi the cfm increase. I try to leave the regulator almost fully open and the gun air control fully open. I used to have the rti set at around 90-110 psi and then use the regulator at the gun to ajust the inlet pressure to the desired psi. How would you set this up? Im using high flow fittings. I have 1/2 inch copper piping coming to the rti eliminator2 about 23 feet away from the compressor and the air gets directed to the gun via a 27 foot devilbiss 3/8 inch ID hose. My compressor is a 60 gallon harborfright compressor. Its rated 5HP and max 165 psi
13.5 cfm at 165 psi, 15.8 @ 90 psi 16.4@40psi. When spraying, no other tools use the compressor.
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.
jimi001
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:52 am

jimi001 wrote:Hub,
I use the iwata ak1r regulator. I usually set the psi to about 44-55 on my rti eliminator 2 and set the gun regulator at about 29 psi for the obs spraying a regular pannel. I use 27 psi with with the hd 1 3. This is how I usually set the preassure. I figured let me try ro get the max cfm to the gun and I have been told at lower psi the cfm increase. I try to leave the regulator almost fully open and the gun air control fully open. I used to have the rti set at around 90-110 psi and then use the regulator at the gun to ajust the inlet pressure to the desired psi. How would you set this up? Im using high flow fittings. I have 1/2 inch copper piping coming to the rti eliminator2 about 23 feet away from the compressor and the air gets directed to the gun via a 27 foot devilbiss 3/8 inch ID hose. My compressor is a 60 gallon harborfright compressor. Its rated 5HP and max 165 psi
13.5 cfm at 165 psi, 15.8 @ 90 psi 16.4@40psi. When spraying, no other tools use the compressor.
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Okay Jim,
You have the right regulator and a great compressed air dryer your - 3/8 hose great! high flow fittings good - you have more than an adequate clean dry compressed air supply and a great spray gun( Anest Iwata) How con you miss

Try these settings with the OBS FOR SMALLER JOBS
These are starter settings - try um and adjust to your liking.
For base set the material control knob at 2 full turns out from the closed position
Set the inlet pressure at 2O PSI then increase IF necessary a pound o two at a time
Adjust spray pattern to achieve an 8 or 9 inch spray pattern or at 5 -6 inch for door jams
For Clear all settings R the same except the inlet air - raise that to 25 - 29 PSI

Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby jimi001 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks hub! Always appreciate your advice. As to setting the air pressure, would you set the air pressure at the rti to around 45 to 50 psi and use the Iwata regulator to set the final inlet pressure,? Or set the rti to 90 psi and use the Iwata regulator to set the inlet pressure?
Thanks hub!
jimi001
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:24 am

jimi001 wrote:Thanks hub! Always appreciate your advice. As to setting the air pressure, would you set the air pressure at the rti to around 45 to 50 psi and use the Iwata regulator to set the final inlet pressure,? Or set the rti to 90 psi and use the Iwata regulator to set the inlet pressure?
Thanks hub!

Set the RTI @90 and then with the Iwata set the pressure at the gun.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby jimi001 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Hey hub!
Question, is the iwata LPR 543 regulator the same as the ak1r regulator.??
Thanks
Jimi
jimi001
LPH-50

Return to Spraying