Gun settings

technique.

Moderator: Hub

Gun settings

Postby Dodgebullit » Wed May 21, 2014 8:07 am

Hey hub new guy here. I got a few questions. First I'll let you know about my setup. I have 2 5hp 80 gal compressors that feed into another reserve 80 gal tank. Iwata lph 400 with all three caps with a 1.3 tip and pps cup system and a sharpe 1.8 tip hvlp gun. I'm going to be shooting filler primer and bc/cc ppg shopline sonic blue pearl this weekend. What gun settings should I use for the filler primer with the sharpe gun? What settings should I use for the clear with the iwata? I already have an om for the lvb cap that I'll use for the bc so I'll just start with those settings for the bc. Also I think my spray pattern is real heavy in the center and can't get the fan to open up is there anything else that would cause that besides to thick of paint or the strainer in the cup. I'll try to shoot some test panels today to see if I can get my iwata to spray correctly! Also could you send me the instructions for the chop stick trick? My email is dumpboxd350@gmail.com Thank you very much Hub I love the site!!
Dodgebullit
LPH-50

Re: Gun settings

Postby Dodgebullit » Thu May 22, 2014 10:59 pm

So I sprayed a junk fender yesterday with sealer base and clear my fan is weird on the orange and silver caps and the purple is perfectly straight. And will I say huge too!! So the orange and silver caps are about 7 to 8 inches at about 5 inches from the panel and look to be almost football shaped! They weren't like that when I bought the gun! I think this will be okay for this weekend because everything layed perfectly flat as long as I can keep the clear from running away on me! I used my iwata cup too because I was having problems with the pps. Thanks for any tips!!
Dodgebullit
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Sat May 24, 2014 6:13 am

Dodgebullit wrote:Hey hub new guy here. I got a few questions. First I'll let you know about my setup. I have 2 5hp 80 gal compressors that feed into another reserve 80 gal tank. Iwata lph 400 with all three caps with a 1.3 tip and pps cup system and a sharpe 1.8 tip hvlp gun. I'm going to be shooting filler primer and bc/cc ppg shopline sonic blue pearl this weekend. What gun settings should I use for the filler primer with the sharpe gun? What settings should I use for the clear with the iwata? I already have an om for the lvb cap that I'll use for the bc so I'll just start with those settings for the bc. Also I think my spray pattern is real heavy in the center and can't get the fan to open up is there anything else that would cause that besides to thick of paint or the strainer in the cup. I'll try to shoot some test panels today to see if I can get my iwata to spray correctly! Also could you send me the instructions for the chop stick trick? My email is dumpboxd350@gmail.com Thank you very much Hub I love the site!!

Sharpe gun model :?: BUT try these settings material valve turned all the way open - then with the trigger pulled all the way back - turn the material control knob to the right until you feel it touch the back of the trigger. That will be the full open position - leave it there.
SET the fan control knob all the way to the left
SET the inlet air pressure at 50 PSI - IF the Sharpe is HVLP - THAT 50 PSI WILL GIVE YOU 10 PSI AT THE CAP.
Now set the spray pattern at about 9 -10 inches at a 7 inch spray distance

When setting the in let pressure on your LPH400LVB it is a MUST the inlet pressure is set with the trigger in the full back position and with air flowing through the gun. The recommended inlet pressure for the LVB IS 14 PSI BUT if the pattern is still fat in the middle - bump the inlet pressure up a pound or two.
Let me know how your testing goes,
"HUB" :mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Hub » Sat May 24, 2014 6:19 am

Dodgebullit wrote:So I sprayed a junk fender yesterday with sealer base and clear my fan is weird on the orange and silver caps and the purple is perfectly straight. And will I say huge too!! So the orange and silver caps are about 7 to 8 inches at about 5 inches from the panel and look to be almost football shaped! They weren't like that when I bought the gun! I think this will be okay for this weekend because everything layed perfectly flat as long as I can keep the clear from running away on me! I used my iwata cup too because I was having problems with the pps. Thanks for any tips!!

Sounds like there may be some junk in and around the air cap.
Try the CHOP STICK SCUFF PAD TRICK'
let me know how you made out.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Dodgebullit » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Hey i cleaned my guns and air caps better than usual an that helped. I still don't know what the chopstick scuff pad trick is. My email is dumpboxd350@gmail.com those are about the settings i used for the sharpe! Came out great it's nice being able to lay good primer it cuts the sanding way down! Here is a video of the truck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUUhLFgJTZo&sns=em
Dodgebullit
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:06 am

Hey Mr. Dodge,
Your truck looks pretty darn good! and a dump bed to boot, how sweet is that. I could use that baby for a week or so while I'm redoing the landscaping at my daughters house. Thank you for sharing. A copy of the chop stick scuff pad trick is on its way.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Dodgebullit » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Thank you very much for the help! Have a great day!
Dodgebullit
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:20 am

Dodgebullit wrote:Thank you very much for the help! Have a great day!

You are welcome very much.

Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Spraying