Clearcoat over Single stage?

technique.

Moderator: Hub

Clearcoat over Single stage?

Postby huffhound » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 am

I am using Nason single stage in a solid color (Garnett red). My thoughts are to wet sand, buff flat and clear then spray two to three coats of clear coat. My question is will I have adhesion problems with the ss being buffed? It's going to be a couple of weeks between the time I spray the ss on the spray the clear.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
huffhound
LPH-50

Re: Clearcoat over Single stage?

Postby Hub » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:47 am

huffhound wrote:I am using Nason single stage in a solid color (Garnett red). My thoughts are to wet sand, buff flat and clear then spray two to three coats of clear coat. My question is will I have adhesion problems with the ss being buffed? It's going to be a couple of weeks between the time I spray the ss on the spray the clear.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

As long as the SS is properly catalyzed and your careful not to sand through the SS you shouldn't have a problem.
Suggestion just sand it smooth/flat - save yourself a lot of work - no need to buff.
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby huffhound » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:02 am

I just want to be sure that I'm understanding your reply correctly. I should color sand the ss to remove any imperfections then spray the clear coat? Won't the underneath color look dull without buffing? I have already color sanded and buffed the trunk lids and the shine is great but I'm looking for more depth.

What do you mean by the ss being properly catalyzed?

BTW: I am a new user of a 1.4 LPH-400 and have both the silver cap and a orange air cap. Which should I use for the ss? The clear? I love the gun so far. This is my first full car and have another two to do.

Thanks again
huffhound
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:43 am

huffhound wrote:I just want to be sure that I'm understanding your reply correctly. I should color sand the ss to remove any imperfections then spray the clear coat? Won't the underneath color look dull without buffing? I have already color sanded and buffed the trunk lids and the shine is great but I'm looking for more depth.

What do you mean by the ss being properly catalyzed?

BTW: I am a new user of a 1.4 LPH-400 and have both the silver cap and a orange air cap. Which should I use for the ss? The clear? I love the gun so far. This is my first full car and have another two to do.

Thanks again

THE LPH400LV is a great gun thank you for the testimonial.

Seeing is believing, spray a small sanded area with clear and see what you think - compare it to the part you buffed.

Did the SS mixing ratio call for hardner :?: and if so did you follow those instructions (properly)

Use the silver cap for the SS & the clear.
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Spraying