Clearcoat Dieback/Contamination LPH-80 1.2

technique.

Moderator: Hub

Clearcoat Dieback/Contamination LPH-80 1.2

Postby shawnautobody » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 am

Hey everyone,

I am really struggling with a problem and I have exhausted all ideas on how to troubleshoot the issue. I've replaced everything I can possibly think of and I don't know what to do, I am desperate...

The problem I am having is that I am getting what appears to be a reaction all over the first layer of clearcoat. As soon as I lay the first layer down I can see it react almost like its pinholes, or gassing reaction and excessive trash clumps. If I pile a second coat on, it helps, however it still looks bad. Then after about 2 hours of curing (air dry) I am getting micro pinholes all through the part consistently and dieback. I have tried several different brands of clearcoat, some are worse than others but the same problem happens no matter the brand.

I have zero issues spraying primer, basecoat or anything else. Its only the clearcoat. I have also narrowed it down to only the clearcoat process that is giving me the problem. If I get a metal can or a factory painted part and sand it, then clearcoat it I can replicate it everytime. The reaction is uniform all throughtout the part, not in sections. Black painted surface it stands out the most...

Even if I just spray 1 coat and leave it, I still get the dieback and reaction all throughout.

I've tried different methods of cleaning the parts from wax and grease remover to isopropyl alcohol/water mix. Same results.

I keep spending more and more money trying to solve the problem and I am not making any progress. And as of today I am out of ideas on what else to try...Attached are some pictures of my setup. I am painting small items.

Its a 2Hp 20 gallon oil-less compressor. I have the compressor running to 50 ft of copper vertical lines and drops with drain valves. I then bought a Sharpe 3 stage Desiccant system. I purchased a LPH400-LV with 1.4 tip thinking I was overatomoizing the clear coat however this did not solve the problem. The LPH80 is the perfect size for what I am spraying small parts...

I thought maybe it was the paint booth fan, I tried spraying with the fan running, without fan running and every possible combination in between. No difference.

The temperature is always 65-70 degrees and humidity is always low 30% range.

I've also given the clearcoat plenty of flash time, i've even tried as long as 45 minutes between coats. No improvement...

First Coat Clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbCwku1Ca4

Second Coat Clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVOiU03PY48

Total dieback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2WYew6p9n4
shawnautobody
LPH-50

Re: Clearcoat Dieback/Contamination LPH-80 1.2

Postby Hub » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 am

[quote="shawnautobody"]Hey everyone,

I am really struggling with a problem and I have exhausted all ideas on how to troubleshoot the issue. I've replaced everything I can possibly think of and I don't know what to do, I am desperate...

The problem I am having is that I am getting what appears to be a reaction all over the first layer of clearcoat. As soon as I lay the first layer down I can see it react almost like its pinholes, or gassing reaction and excessive trash clumps. If I pile a second coat on, it helps, however it still looks bad. Then after about 2 hours of curing (air dry) I am getting micro pinholes all through the part consistently and dieback. I have tried several different brands of clearcoat, some are worse than others but the same problem happens no matter the brand.

I have zero issues spraying primer, basecoat or anything else. Its only the clearcoat. I have also narrowed it down to only the clearcoat process that is giving me the problem. If I get a metal can or a factory painted part and sand it, then clearcoat it I can replicate it everytime. The reaction is uniform all throughtout the part, not in sections. Black painted surface it stands out the most...

Even if I just spray 1 coat and leave it, I still get the dieback and reaction all throughout.

I've tried different methods of cleaning the parts from wax and grease remover to isopropyl alcohol/water mix. Same results.

I keep spending more and more money trying to solve the problem and I am not making any progress. And as of today I am out of ideas on what else to try...Attached are some pictures of my setup. I am painting small items.

Its a 2Hp 20 gallon oil-less compressor. I have the compressor running to 50 ft of copper vertical lines and drops with drain valves. I then bought a Sharpe 3 stage Desiccant system. I purchased a LPH400-LV with 1.4 tip thinking I was overatomoizing the clear coat however this did not solve the problem. The LPH80 is the perfect size for what I am spraying small parts...

I thought maybe it was the paint booth fan, I tried spraying with the fan running, without fan running and every possible combination in between. No difference.

The temperature is always 65-70 degrees and humidity is always low 30% range.

I've also given the clearcoat plenty of flash time, i've even tried as long as 45 minutes between coats. No improvement...

Hi Shawn, Do you think its solvent pop or water blasters ? Or the material itself ? or maybe surface contamination. We can figure it out.
First lets make sure its not the clear itself. Try this get yourself a pane if glass clean & dry it tack it off and spray it with a coat or two of clear. If no problems appear - then we'll need to look else where. For some reason I can't open your youtube info CHEERS, "HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Spraying