Running two compressors

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Running two compressors

Postby Andy T » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi chaps,

One of the reasons behind me buying an LPH80 was that I've been doing a bit of side work for a mate in his mechanics shop. His air supply is marginal, so the mini gun is ideal, but I have an overall to do on his truck and there's no way I'm using the '80 for that :lol:

It's going to be a 3 stage pearl job (some prep pictures here), so I'll be using my W400's. Along with an air fed mask I'm going to be drawing much more air than his compressor can put out. He can borrow a slightly larger one when the time comes to spray it, but even that might not have quite enough grunt for the job at hand, so I was wondering if the two could be run together somehow.

The easy option would be to simply T the two outlets together, but I'm not sure if that's workable, or wise.

Any advice appreciated :)
Andy T
LPH-100

Postby SprayTech » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:17 pm

And here I thought the USA only had RUST ......... HA HA HA

Looks like you have your work cut out on that job Andy , Sure gald you have that much energy to work full time and do that on the side :lol:

Wish I had some advice on your compressor question .
SprayTech
LPH-100

IN TANDEM

Postby Hub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:27 am

Compressors working in tandem are safe and doable. Andy before you go to the effort - figure the ACFM you'll need - CHECK THE SPECIFICATION TAGS for their ACFM RATING, see if the two compressors will produce your needs on a sustained basis.
Rule of thumb - a good compressor will produce on average 3 CFM per HP

What is the HP rating and what is the receiver size?

Interesting pix - big job, thank you for sharing

"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Re: IN TANDEM

Postby Andy T » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:57 am

SprayTech wrote:And here I thought the USA only had RUST ......... HA HA HA

We certainly have our share of rust over here mate. Something to do with the constant rain we get! :lol:

Hub wrote:What is the HP rating and what is the receiver size?

The one he has is 3HP / 100litres (can't read the CFM/FAD spec) so not exactly up to the job! I haven't seen the one he can borrow yet, but he reckons it's only slightly bigger, and runs on single phase electrics (240V), which usually means 3.5HP max. Anything larger tends to run on 3 phase (415V).

I think running them in tandem is definitely the way to go then. I'm sure I can rig something up safely with a Y connector and short runs of flexible hose.

Thanks for the replies :)
Andy T
LPH-100

Postby nzgrip » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:54 am

could run the gun off one compressor and air fed mask off the other.......
nzgrip
LPH-50

Postby Andy T » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:32 pm

nzgrip wrote:could run the gun off one compressor and air fed mask off the other.......

Yeah thanks, that's one thing I have in mind actually, it just depends on the capacity of the borrowed compressor.

Might get myself into a bit of a tangle with the air hoses though! :lol:
Andy T
LPH-100

Postby painter john » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi Andy your situation sounds a bit like my own. I have 2 3hp 200ltr compressors joined into one hard air pipe,one compressor is about 8.8 fad and other 10.2 fad. Now this is what they say but i suspect i'm not getting 19 cfm fad. I am using an iwata air fed mask min 5 cfm and the w400 lv2 about 9.8 cfm like your own,i only use the wbx for w.b so dont need the air mask then.
The trouble i have is although it works ok and will do your job, my pressure switches only have 1 screw each so I can only set the pressure cut out ,i will have to buy new switches with dual settings for best results and pressure control.
The compressors run flat out and humidity could be a problem as the air cools, leaving damp maybe dirty air into your mask if you've no filter kit.you wont catch the water in the trap as it wont have cooled at that stage in my expierence.
I would just rig up a Y joint if there's no hard piping,let the compressors cut in as they need ,check the pressure switches for 2 screws and see about adjusting cut in cut out if possible.you'll have to keep adjusting up the pressure at your gun reg as you paint but it'll do your job.
Hope it's some help
painter john
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Andy ,
WHO needs a stinkin' compressor !!!!!!!!!

Smooth one for clear and others for laying those custom stripes ...... :lol: :twisted:
SprayTech
LPH-100

Postby Hub » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:44 am

O.K. More information is needed, a little forbearance would be appreciated.
Cheers,
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Andy T » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:37 am

Going back to this idea...

The complete job above is now sorted, as we are now hiring a booth for the day when I paint it (at my insistence!), which has a plentiful air supply.

I'm still looking at sorting my other work out though. I've recently purchased a small SIP compressor, which will give me a FAD of around 9.5 CFM. This will be more than adequate for my LPH80, and most of my jobs, but there's going to be the odd car that'll need the big guns :D I have another compressor (~8 CFM) so hooked together these may just about manage a 2-3 panel job.

Now I've been doing a bit of research and thinking, and it seems the best advice is to connect the two tanks directly together, bypassing any regulators, which seems to make sense. Both tanks have a suitable extra outlet where I can put a quick connector, so with a bit of hose between them, I think it'll work fine.

The advice I've had also suggests using the regulated outlet of the 'largest' compressor to supply my gun, and having the smaller 'slave' compressor set to kick in at a slightly lower pressure than big one (if I have the two switches John mentions). This should mean that the main unit will do most of the work, but the smaller one will help out when more air is needed.

Does all of the above sound feasible (if a bit Heath Robinson)? I know air supply will still be marginal, and I may have cooling/humidity issues, but I don't want to blow myself or my new compressor up for the sake of a silly oversight.

I'm trying to do this with minimum outlay for the minute, but if work takes off I'll be looking at a more permanent solution (although I'll still be a bit limited by the ~3HP maximum for a portable unit, caused by electrical supply).

Andy T
LPH-100

COMPRESSORS A PAIR

Postby Hub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 am

Hey Andy,
Check your personal E I sent you a couple of ideas. Now I expect NO criticism. I am not a draftsman and do not profess to be :lol:
Both of these systems are in shops an functioning very nicely.
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Andy T » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi Hub,
No email received on this particular subject, but thank you for the other one ;)
Andy T
LPH-100

Postby painter john » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Hub,could you send me that same info on running 2 compressors please?I'll p.m the email address.
Cheers P.J
painter john
LPH-50

HUB REPLY

Postby Hub » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 am

PJ,
Your request will be granted.
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby painter john » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:11 am