lamans dryers

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

lamans dryers

Postby painter john » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am

i am running 2 three hp compressors in tandem and since i done this i have been getting a lot more moisture at the hose end.
i know this is mainly because i am using a lot more air now with the w400lv2 and an iwata air fed mask and using the air before it gets a chance to cool.i have about 45 ft of 1/2 inch copper pipping comming out of the compressor up about 7 ft with a drain valve at the bottom of the rise then turns and gradually slopes down for another approx 28 ft to another drop and drain valve into a water trap/regulator.
6 inches before the regulator i have a 2 ft rise up then sloping down to another regulator/water trap with a 25 um filter leading into a 3 stage air breathing filter, a pre filter,coalesing filter and charcoal filter.
but as i said i'm getting moisture at the end of the hose on a big job,the coalesing filter on the mask belt can catch it going into the mask but not the gun.i know a refrigerated air dryer would solve this problem but the funds arent quite there at the moment for it.
i'm wondering about the lamans 107 dryer but i dont think this would solve my problem , a refrigerated dryer will lower the dew point but is there another lower cost option ,i can get the lamans 107 for around 250 euro or around $325 to you guys something in that price range would be great compared to near 1000 euro plus about 100 euro for a pre filter which is recommended. i hope someone can help as i dont want cars coming back in a year or two time with micro blistering
cheers P.J
painter john
LPH-50

COMPRESSED AIR PIPING

Postby Hub » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:24 am

PJ,
If that 45 feet of 1/2 inch were 2 inch the air would be moving slower and have a better chance to cool - then a quailty $175.00 water trap would take out 99% of all liquid oil and water. For super low dew points either desiccant or membrane type air dryers are needed - " yes they are spendy " ONE other option - install an auxiliary tank at the point of use to help cool the air and catch the liquids.
I'm not a big fan of refer dryers - the best ones can only lower the dew point to about 35 - 38 degrees F - WHICH STILL LEAVES about 18 to 25 % CAH. 10% or below is ideal.
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby painter john » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:48 am

thanks Hub,could you recommend either a dessicant or membrane dryer that are reasonably priced and could get shipped over here.do the beads need changing much in the dessicant dryer?they are only really used over here in the food or shot blast industries from what i gather,maybe because the colder weather allows the refrigerated dryers work better?
painter john
LPH-50

dry air

Postby Hub » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:29 am

PJ,
Check with your local Snap-on dealer.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby painter john » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 am

will do ,thanks Hub
painter john
LPH-50

Will do

Postby Hub » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:46 am

If any of your contacts have an air quality test kit - have them read your air supply
'HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

air dryrer

Postby painter john » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm

do any of you know anything about the devilbiss qc3 desiccant air dryer,i seen it on ebay for about $175 which inc extra $40 desiccant.cant remember the co. name but its some custom store.
Have any of you tried it or know if it would it be a good enough dryer,it seems quite cheap for an air dryer.I dont have much experience with desiccants as most bodyshops use refridgerated dryers over here.
painter john
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:53 am

I use the DeVilbiss DAD 500 model at work and it works real well , and I use the SATA Vision 2000 respirator hooked up to it with no problems .
SprayTech
LPH-100

Postby painter john » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:38 am

Thanks S.T will look it up also
painter john
LPH-50

Adequate, Clean & Dry Compressed Air

Postby Hub » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Good Morning contributors,
ST, laying your knowledge & skills aside subject plays a large part in your success - you know, right the first time. You mentioned you were breathing the air from the dad unit, I hope that air is coming off prior to the third stage (desiccant canester) if not I'd suggest that you do. DV makes an adaptor that allows for that. We want you to stay healthy.

Painter John,
Log on to htt://www.driair.com and take a look at their Eliminator 11 desiccant unit. I like this one because its two stage and the desiccant comes in a cartridge, no loose beads and can be serviced in about two minutes and if my old memory serves me correctly its less money. Please let me know your thouthts.

Saturday Morning Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby painter john » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi all, Hub is it not good to breath the air from a desiccant ,is it to do with the dust from them and would a humble 25um filter do the job on the dust.I was hoping the air was breathable as it was also a reason for getting a dryer as not to be breathing heavy moisture laden compressor air. I would like to breath dry clean air
The rti dryer seems a great job but i was more thinking of a single desiccant unit as i have a 3 stage filter ,check it out please at www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk ,it's the kestrel 3 stage filter.It's not very big but i only paint from 2- 5 times a week at present so i wouldnt be too hard on the filters.
It's just that in these tough times(and things are very very quiet here in Ireland) i'd rather not spend any more than i have to for a little while as the eliminator 11 is approx $560.
painter john
LPH-50

Dry air

Postby Hub » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:25 pm

PJ,
Which unit are you looking at - I don't see any desiccant unit offered.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby painter john » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Sorry Hub I didnt clarify myself well,the kestrel 3 stage is not a desiccant its simply a water/dirt filter,a coalecing filter and a carbon filter.
I was looking for a reasonbly good single unit desiccant to connect the 3 stage kestrel to.The DAD500 has the 3 stage filters and the desiccant,and i thought why buy another pre filter unit when i all ready have what should be good enough,and just hook up a desiccant dryer to it.
As you can see companies over this end of the pond dont tend to sell desiccants for some reason,even devilbiss and sharpe who seem to have a good selection with you guys dont even have them on their books over here,just filter traps.So it's mainly just a single desiccant i'm after to compliment the 3 stage filter.
thanks P.J
painter john
LPH-50

desiccant

Postby Hub » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:59 am

PJ,
Take a look see at www.motorguard.com

Ask your local paint supplier if they have an AIR QUALITY TEST KIT - have them check your compressed air supply - your air may be dry enough.

If you were a little closer I'd pop in and do it myself.
Cheers,
"HUB" :wink:
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Air compressors