Should the Desiccant Filter be Bypassed???

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Should the Desiccant Filter be Bypassed???

Postby grits » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:57 am

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a Devilbiss desiccant air dryer system/ DEV-DAD500. The filter system will be installed after the up and down loop, of two inch pipe, recommended by Hub. I need the referenced unit for painting and my blast cabinet; however, I do not feel I need it for air tools, blowing things off, etc. I have no idea how long the desiccant filter will last. I probably put about one hundred hours a year on my compressor. I thought about installing a bypass after the first two filters and tying back into the line after the Desiccant filter in order to prolong the life of the material in the desiccant filter. What to yall think?

Thank you,

Grits
No One on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time working".
grits
LPH-50

Postby Taro » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:14 am

That is pretty much what I did. I ran about 45 feet of 2" copper pipe around garage into an ATD system (sort of like the DAD, only one more element. Same price.

I placed a Sharpe 808A (think number) just after the haint's domain. Run most of my stuff off that, but when painting, I top off the ATD regulated system output. Figure the desicant will last longer and the Sharpe takes most of stuff out that would cause tools a problem. I also have 6 drains in the system, not counting compressor. I drain them frequently, but outside of first one nearest compressor, get very little water.

Just finished my first set of panels today. Got two frog eyes and two nats in the clear coat.

Will post photos of my "paint shop" later.
Taro
LPH-50

Malathion

Postby grits » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:45 am

Taro

I do not know know much about painting but I do know how to kill bugs. Buy a jug of malathion and spray your shop before you paint. That is what I do and we grow large numbers of world class mosquitoes here in rice country.

Grits
grits
LPH-50

Postby Taro » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks, gotta do something.

Skitters here stole me spraygun. Cudda been the haints.

How long does that stuff last. Sprayed some more during day, thought that might keep them down, but no, covered the paint. :o
Taro
LPH-50

Malathion

Postby grits » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:38 pm

I do not know what the residual is on malathion. It may be a contact killer, meaning, it kills what it hits and the rest becomes inert when it hits the ground. I know you can spray fruit and eat the fruit very quickly.

I will see what I can find out. I will post a pic of my electric fogger,

Grits
grits
LPH-50

Bypass???????

Postby Hub » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Clean dry for the blast cab & the painting area are a must - but for the remainder - bypass only makes good sense.
Cheers,
:twisted:
Hub
Air Authority

Thanks

Postby grits » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks for the adult supervision Hub.

A whole lot of moisture will be removed before the desiccant filter. The bypass will contain an inexpensive cartridge filter that will also help. As is, I do not have water dripping out of my air tools but I want to keep the air reasonably dry.

I am getting closer to the welding shop to have e SS nipples welded on the bottoms of the tanks. I am going to weld up the bracket so the wider will have a jig to keep everything straight. It will be an strange looking contraption when it is finished.

The boat is also getting closer. The motor should be ready to bolt on by the first of the week. I am installing an interesting trolling motor(s) and upgrading the steering. I am replacing the pumps and adding a fresh water wash-down. The rest is elbow grease and I think I have just a little bit left.

Thanks again everyone,

Grits
grits
LPH-50

Projects - unfinished

Postby Hub » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:02 pm

Good Morning Mr. Grits,
You are welcome. After the construction of the verticals are complete including the auto drain on the down leg, you'll find this portion of your compressed air distribution system will have removed a very large percentage of the CAH leaving the air control units & desiccant unit down stream without much to do (especally with the deiccant by pass) you'll find no need to replace the desiccant for 18 to 24 months - or with limited use even longer. Then if you are thrifty minded I'll share with you the proceedure to rejuvenate the spent desiccant.

Be cauious with the elbow grease - there can be serious side affects
to name a couple, Joint pain & fish eye.

At your request Adult Supervisin will continue.

Cheers,
"HUB" :mrgreen: 8)
Hub
Air Authority

Bypass

Postby grits » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:37 pm

Hub,

As I mentioned above, I do not put one hundred hours per year on my compressor. I know this because I installed an hour meter. Is the bypass worth it with such limited use. Also, the compressor is in and air conditioned building.

Thanks for the adult supervision. I need all I can get.

Roger
grits
LPH-50

DRY air

Postby Hub » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Good Morning Roger,
AKA Mr. Grits

You bought the DAD - the by pass is simple - just do it, why take a chance, I don't - thats why I ware both a belt and suspenders.

Rice is wonderful when prepared correctly

Cheers,
"HUB'' :mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Back-Up

Postby grits » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:41 am

Hub

I do not wear both a belt and suspenders but it is a good idea. Since we have been robbed five times in the last month, I do back up my 45 with a shotgun or AR15.

A pistol or rifle has someone's address. A shotgun has their zip code!

Grits
grits
LPH-50

Return to Air compressors