Supplied Air Hood or Full Face Mask

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Supplied Air Hood or Full Face Mask

Postby Stretch » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Just looking for some opinions from those using supplied air respirators. I'm about to make a purchase and have done quite a bit of research. I'm leaning towards an S.A.S. system but can't decide on a hood or full face mask.

I've used a sandblast hood before and didn't really like it. It didn't seem to move as well as I'd hoped even with a head strap. It also seemed huge. I paint motorcycle and bicycle frames and feel the hood would hinder me from getting in close to look in all the tight spots.

I like the SAS full face mask with the hose that points back and wraps over your shoulder. Just never used a full face mask before. I can't seem to find anyone local that stocks them for me to test fit.

Any feedback or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks-Stretch
Stretch
LPH-50

Postby Taro » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:20 pm

I wear glasses, full face is a no-no.

Complete hood allows glasses, the Tyvek (spell) is light and does not interfer with movement, just my view.
Taro
LPH-50

Postby Taro » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Your photo shows the hood to be much bigger that it actually is, at least the 3M unit that I have.

It is personal preference, full face vs full hood. My view is that the full hood is much more comfortable, I see better, but always glad to get out of that thing. I cannot wear half masks and the full mast seems more restrictive to me than the hood.

That said I highly recommend keeping thoes ISO's out of your eyes, ears, mouth, nose, lungs. I have seen up close and personal what they can do you. It ain't pretty. Only use NIOSH approved breathing/ protective, as required/recommended by the product manufacturer's safety sheets. It is all for your benefit.
Taro
LPH-50

Postby Stretch » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:36 am

I looked around online and ordered an Allegro hood. From the photos it looks much smaller than the photo I posted. The price was right as well. If I don't like it I'll go ahead get a full face mask.

I don't like the way my face feels after a day in a half mask so don't figure I'd like a full face much better so we'll see how the hood works out.

If anyone else stumbles upon this post please post your opinions and experience.

Thanks-Stretch
Stretch
LPH-50

Postby pg123 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi there, I am having precisely the same dilemma. My issue is that the full face seems like it ought to protect more--because there's an actual seal on your face, whereas the hood has a loose opening at the bottom through which isos could seep. Maybe I'm wrong about this, and maybe there's enough pressure to do the job (I'm guessing there is because SAS's system is NIOSH approved) but I'm just unsure. The hood seems far more comfortable and the SAS one doesn't look like what you're pointing at. Also you don't have to fit hoods to your face size, which is a plus. Has anyone got any opinion on the relative safety of these two options?
pg123
LPH-50

Postby Taro » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:10 pm

With positive air pressure from a clean source the "hood" provides more safety from ISO's than a face mask. A half mask is half safe, it does not protect eyes and ears from ISO penetration.

If faceplate on hood starts to fog up, you know you have air problems. :D
Taro
LPH-50

Postby pg123 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:04 pm

Well, I'm talking about a full face mask + painters hood and maybe a sock to cover all my skin. Then is the face mask better?
pg123
LPH-50

Postby Taro » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 pm

I believe with proper air supply (NIOSH approved) the hood is better, maybe marginally better. With the face mask, you always have the "fit" issue, not so with the hood. Since you cannot smell ISO's. :o

That being said I have seen many professionals use the face mask, heck I remember folks spraying ISO's years ago with no protection - none at all.
Taro
LPH-50

Postby pg123 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Hm... what do wear to cover the rest of your body with the hood? those shoot suits have their own integrated hood so you won't be able to tuck your supplied air hood anywhere.
pg123
LPH-50

Breathing protection

Postby Wilson T Hall » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:14 am

[quote="Stretch"]I looked around online and ordered an Allegro hood. From the photos it looks much smaller than the photo I posted. The price was right as well. If I don't like it I'll go ahead get a full face mask.

I don't like the way my face feels after a day in a half mask so don't figure I'd like a full face much better so we'll see how the hood works out.

If anyone else stumbles upon this post please post your opinions and experience.

Thanks-Stretch[/quote]

Did you buy this unit hows it working? do you like it?
WTH
Wilson T Hall
LPH-50

Postby grits » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 am

FYI-you can buy an eye-glass kit for full face mask. The frame does not have ear pieces and it mounts to a bracket inside the mask. I have a 3M filtered full face mask with the adaptor and like it. I am an amateur and do not spray every day. Once a week is more like it and I change my filters ofter.

Having you glasses mounted inside the mask is good. I like it and see well through it. I am like many of you. I have great respect for some of the vapors you can absorb through your skin, eyes, ears, etc. I am a farmer and have great respect for chemicals.

If I spent more time in a spray booth, I would use a fresh air system with a full face mask.

Grits
No One on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time working".
grits
LPH-50

Postby grits » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Spray Tech,

That is identical to what I use except mine has a pair of glasses inside. I did not realize there is an adaptor to allow you to connect it to a fresh air system.

Grits
grits
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Yep grits , you can get theY tube adapter that will turn it into a fresh air system , I used to use the fresh air system till I got walking Pneumonia from the cold air it brought in during the winter , as the air intake can not be placed inside the shop , has to be clean outside air to be OSHA approved . At least in my neck of the woods !
SprayTech
LPH-100

Postby grits » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:00 am

ST

I use mine in my fun shop. I am a farmer. If OSHA shows up at my turf farm, my shop is the last place they will be interested in.

Phenomena ain't no fun. I have had it twice.

How long do your filters last in a production shop?

Grits
grits
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:32 am

depends on how many jobs I do per day , 15-30 days , and if I remember to put it in a sealed container to keep the filters fresh . ;) :)
SprayTech
LPH-100

Next

Return to Air compressors