New spray gun!

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

New spray gun!

Postby Sandral » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello Hub! So happy to have found this message board! I have NEVER used a spay gun! That being said, I am now in urgent need to purchase one! I am just a fine artist and paint on canvas, I bought an hsbs eclipse airbrush 4 months ago along with a pro jet compressor. I loved the results it gave me, but it works only for small canvases. I am painting a 12 ft by 10 ft painting and I want to paint the background with color gradients, and the airbrush is definitely to small for that size. So looking into spray guns I heard that my best bet is to go with Iwata. Looking into the options, I imagined that the bigger the pattern, the better to do a faster job? Anyhow I think I am down to teo options, either the lph 80 or the lph400 I would love the super nova but I do not want to spend so much! since I am inexperienced with this media I thought of the LpH 80, since its smaller and easier to manage? But then in Coast airbrush they recommended the 400. It all boils down also to the problem of the compressor!does the lph80 run with the pro jet that I already have? If so maybe I should just go for the lph80 and when I have more experience I can move to a bigger gun ?Or do I need to get a new compressor?if so maybe its best to get the lph 400 with a bigger pattern( I guess I should get the biggest nozzle?) if I do need the new compressor, I am in a studio that is 18 ft by 14 ft . I would like something that is less noisy, and the easiest compressor to maintain! Oiless I hear is best? i looked into the 4 hp California air tool silent compressor. I pasted the info for the compressor below.Would this be good enough for the lph400? Do you have something of a better price that I could use?And if eventually I get another gun like the super nova will it be enough? For now I am going to use the gun for this large background and I am using the Golden airbrush colors that are very thin... But if I like this, i might eventually use the gun to prime, and who k ows what else! A guy told me that I could get a compressor in Home Depot that is not as exepwnsive as the california air tools and that he can install it outside and justbring the comnection to thesiurce inside. Is that possible? He says we can just buy a little pvc shed and place the compressor inside there and it will mot get ruined! It sounds a little fishy to me! Oh well, i am sorry to write such a long message and I hope I can hear from you soon to be able to make a decision!Thank-you so much!
220V 60Hz
Ultra quiet: 75 Decibels
Oil-Free Pump
17.0 Gallon steel tank
Includes water trap to remove moisture
Two powerful 2.0 HP (rated / running) motors
14.00 CFM @ 40 PSI
10.60 CFM @ 90 PSI
Maximum pressure: 125 PSI
Two pressure control gauges
Low amp draw - 14.5A
Thermal overload protector
Time to fill the tank: 90 Seconds
Low vibration motor speed of 1680 RPMs
Dissipates heat more efficiently
Extra-large dual piston pump for increased compression
Extra-long pump life of over 3000 hours
Includes:
Sandral
LPH-50

Re: New spray gun!

Postby Hub » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:38 am

Sandra 2 spray guns come to mind that would work very nicely with the compressor you describe The LPH 101 AND THE LPH300 - OR FOR A REAL GOOD LOW COST GUN you could choose one of the Air Gunsas. do you have a catalog to look at - what is the spraying viscosity of the material you plan to spray the back ground with :?:
Load with that info I can better suggest a gun I think would be right for you.
Cheers,
"HUB" :mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello Hub, the question is what comes first into consideration, the compressor or the gun? i have neither so I really was just looking at that compressor because it was recommended by Caost Air brush. But don't Ineed to consider what is the best gun for me and then decide on the compressor? Also does the LPH 80 work with the pro jet? Maybe that way I only need to buy a gun? That is if the LPH 80 is good enough to fit my needs. As I said I am working on a space that is 10ft by 10 ft, with a 5.5 " pattern will it suffice? I will be using the Golden airbrush colors that come ready for airbruh :lol: so I am guessing they will spray fine with any of the spray guns. Is there a possibility we can talk? i have so many other questions!!! Thanks! Sandra
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:38 am

Sandral wrote:Hello Hub, the question is what comes first into consideration, the compressor or the gun? i have neither so I really was just looking at that compressor because it was recommended by Caost Air brush. But don't Ineed to consider what is the best gun for me and then decide on the compressor? Also does the LPH 80 work with the pro jet? Maybe that way I only need to buy a gun? That is if the LPH 80 is good enough to fit my needs. As I said I am working on a space that is 10ft by 10 ft, with a 5.5 " pattern will it suffice? I will be using the Golden airbrush colors that come ready for airbruh :lol: so I am guessing they will spray fine with any of the spray guns. Is there a possibility we can talk? i have so many other questions!!! Thanks! Sandra

Slap my face, I miss read your post - I thought the 10 x 10 was the surface size you planned to paint.
Okay the LPH 80 IS A GREAT LITTLE GUN that sprays like the bigger boys. Hey if you haven't purchased the LPH80 yet, make sure you get the 1.2 Fluid Nozzle / with an E4 air cap .
Yes I will give you a call - post your number and the best time to call and don't forget the time zone On my PM
CHEERS,

BOUT FORGOT - the LPH 80 oNLY REQUIRES 2 CFM @ 13 PSI
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:26 am

Great, My number is . I an in Miami,, not sure where you are so I do not know your time! If you call on weekends tommorow would be great!!! After 10 am my time atany time its fine! If not weekdays any time after 8:30 am works too!Thank-you!!!! Talk to you soon!
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Sandral wrote:Great, My number is . I an in Miami,, not sure where you are so I do not know your time! If you call on weekends tommorow would be great!!! After 10 am my time atany time its fine! If not weekdays any time after 8:30 am works too!Thank-you!!!! Talk to you soon!

Okay Talk to soon. "HUB" :mrgreen:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:49 pm

Hello Hub, elwas looking inti the gun you suggested. I found two different catalogues online from Anest Iwata so I am confused. I found tuw W101 / LPh 100 nad then on anither site the lph 100 so I am not sure which one is the one you reccommend! Thanks! By the way can the lph 80 run on the power jet compressor without shutting down on me? Thank-you!
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Sandral » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:04 am

Hello Hub! Sorry about the last post I wrote it from my phone and didnt realize how bad it spelled! Sorry about that! Anyways, what I found was on the anest medea site the w-101/lph100 and on the anest site the lph 101... Not sure which of these you reccommend, also looking at the cfm's needed for these guns, around 8.5 to 9.5 if I want the large patern, looking into the compressors from home depot and lowes, I do not see anything lower than 800 dollars that can handle this cfms. Also looked into the pancake compressors but they maximun have 5 cfms so I am not finding what you told me about! Please help!!! I need to buy the gun and compressor Asap! Thankyou!
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Sandral » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Hub, i guess you have been busy and have not been able to answer my post! Tell me which compressor do you reccommend for the LPH 400? Thankyou
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:47 am

Sandra sorry for my slow response
The LPH 400LVX Requires about 10 CFM @ 16 PSI and a good air compressor will produce about 3 CFM PER HORSE POWER -Use this information when shopping for a compressor. also keep in mind the electrical power needed - usually the better compressors require 240 volts. also if you are cramped for room consider an upright and a 6o gallon receiver (tank)
Sandra Take a look at the Kobalt 3.7 HP 60 gallon tank 155-PSI 230VOLT VERTICAL COMPRESSOR AT LOWES for $499.00 they claim it produces 13.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI WHICH WOULD COVER THE NEEDS OF THE LPH400LVX VERY NICELY. CHECK IT OUT AT LOWES. I have not had any experience with kobalt compressors but its worth a look see.
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Sandral » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Thank-you Hub, I did lookinto it and it seems it can work, just a more complicated installation ! The California airvtool compressor I suggested before wouldnt work? I lnow it only has a 17 gallon tank, but it does have 4 hp, and runs 14.0 cfm @40 psi. Considering I will be using the spray gun once in a while and no other rpowe tools at the same time, I was wondring if this could work. It just seems much simpler to just connect and voila! What I do need is something that will not shut off 5 mins into the job!!! By the the way is the lph 400 a nice gun? Thanks again for all your time and help!
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Sandral » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Okay Hub I am down to the LPH 400 or LPH 101. For a low viscosity paint which would be better? As I said the Golde have a rating form 40 - 60 viscosity. With either of these 2 guns i still need a 220 volt compressor? Thank-you
Sandral
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 am

Alright Sandra, I'm going to suggest another gun that I think will be a better choice for you other than the LPH 101 OR THE LPH400LVX - SORRY IT HAD SLIPPED MY MIND. Anest Iwata had desided to discontinue it, but our customers convinced us other wise. I know you'll love this medium size center mount gun. It looks and sprays like the big boys and you'll love the price, gun & cup is only is only $409.00 over a $100. less than either of the other guns.
The price is good , but wait there are other advantages
Has a full 9" spray pattern - only requires 7.1 CFM @ 15 PSI INLET and of interest to you - produces very low overspray.
I'll E you a flyer.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Air compressors