New Compressor

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

New Compressor

Postby Andy T » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:07 pm

I've been struggling along with a couple of small compressors linked together for some time now. They both run nearly all the time when I'm painting which isn't ideal, as the more they run, the more heat they put into the compressed air, thus the more water that eventually condenses out, which ends up in the paint. I've been using a DeVilbiss Whirlwind moisture trap at my gun to help, but it isn't an ideal situation.

So after a good search, my mate (who's premises I'm using atm) and I decided to go halves on a second hand one of these:

http://www.abac-support.co.uk/individua ... 41_270.htm

At around £1600 RRP, we could afford a brand new one, but this has seen little use.

It's a huge beast with a 270 litre tank, and a 10 HP motor, which gives me more air than I'll ever need. I won't bore you with too many technical details, but it uses a two-stage pump (one large piston, one smaller one) which compresses the air in stages. This is more efficient and introduces less heat. It also has intercoolers between the stages and an aftercooler, so the air going into the tank is nowhere near as hot as with most compressors.

It also has such a large capacity that it hardly ever runs, which is all good. Duty cycle is as low as 10% for the one or two panel jobs I'm doing.

We got it wired in and I've also fitted a modest pipe system, which ensures the air is a cool as it possibly can be so all the humidity condenses out, and it allows this condensate to run downhill and be drained away. A water trap/filter/pressure regulator is the final stage in giving me nice clean dry air, ideal for painting. We may end up moving premises soon so I haven't gone for a full distribution set up yet, but this system seems more than adequate for a single user, and has cured my water problem.

The connectors are parts of the Sealey Fast Fit Air Supply System, but I've substituted the Nylon pipes for copper, for increased cooling effect.

I've copied this post over from another less technical forum, so forgive some of the lingo :)
Andy T
LPH-100

Re: New Compressor

Postby Hub » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:22 am

Andy T wrote:I've been struggling along with a couple of small compressors linked together for some time now. They both run nearly all the time when I'm painting which isn't ideal, as the more they run, the more heat they put into the compressed air, thus the more water that eventually condenses out, which ends up in the paint. I've been using a DeVilbiss Whirlwind moisture trap at my gun to help, but it isn't an ideal situation.

So after a good search, my mate (who's premises I'm using atm) and I decided to go halves on a second hand one of these:

http://www.abac-support.co.uk/individua ... 41_270.htm

At around £1600 RRP, we could afford a brand new one, but this has seen little use.

It's a huge beast with a 270 litre tank, and a 10 HP motor, which gives me more air than I'll ever need. I won't bore you with too many technical details, but it uses a two-stage pump (one large piston, one smaller one) which compresses the air in stages. This is more efficient and introduces less heat. It also has intercoolers between the stages and an aftercooler, so the air going into the tank is nowhere near as hot as with most compressors.

It also has such a large capacity that it hardly ever runs, which is all good. Duty cycle is as low as 10% for the one or two panel jobs I'm doing.

We got it wired in and I've also fitted a modest pipe system, which ensures the air is a cool as it possibly can be so all the humidity condenses out, and it allows this condensate to run downhill and be drained away. A water trap/filter/pressure regulator is the final stage in giving me nice clean dry air, ideal for painting. We may end up moving premises soon so I haven't gone for a full distribution set up yet, but this system seems more than adequate for a single user, and has cured my water problem.

The connectors are parts of the Sealey Fast Fit Air Supply System, but I've substituted the Nylon pipes for copper, for increased cooling effect.

I've copied this post over from another less technical forum, so forgive some of the lingo :)

Hello Andy,
Congratrulations on your new to you Air Compressor and thank you for posting. Now you are all set up, have you had the compressed air tested for that nasty old paint job destroying CAH :?:
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Andy T » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 pm

No, I haven't had it tested, but so far the water trap has been dry as a bone, with just the odd few drops of condensate coming from the drain leg on the left, so I'm guessing the initial vertical leg is doing its job.

I would have preferred to have had that stand pipe going up even higher, but there's the main electrical conduit just above, and shelving for tyres above that, so it's the best I could do.
Andy T
LPH-100

Postby Hub » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:35 am

If its working - what more could you want :?:
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Andy T » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:26 pm

I think I need more length :lol:

I was doing a larger than average job the other day so the compressor was running a bit more than normal. Late into the job I had a few drops of water coming out of the air line connector :( There was quite a lot of water in the trap, but I felt the copper pipe coming into it and it was pretty warm, so clearly it wasn't cooling the air enough.
Andy T
LPH-100

Postby jcclark » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am

Sometimes you have to be inventive.
Notice the piping above my bench, I had no room anywhere else :lol:
Attachments
DSC04519.JPG
DSC04519.JPG (86.37 KiB) Viewed 15710 times
JCCLARK
jcclark
LPH-50

Postby Dlorah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 pm

I am not usually a shoulda type person but you guys shoulda ask hub. he'd said as he did to me - one 10 foot peice if 4" copper tubing drastically increasing storage but slowing the air stream velosity giving it a chance to cool and condensate by the time it gets to the water traps for removal.
Must say JCC your shop looks neat and well kept.
dn
Dlorah
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank you dn for your comment.
Cheers,
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Mortimer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:26 pm

I've written elsewhere here that bang for buck-style Motion 5 is the best bargain out there for motion graphics. However, you already have Motion 4 so the question really becomes, are you using it? I skipped Motion 4 and off the top of my head (just getting up in the AM too) I'd say you are not getting a lot by moving from 4 to 5 except some additional content and 64-bit. Now, with all my praises for Motion 5, I still think the downside is... it's slow.

If Compressor 3.5 is working for you I don't see any real reason to go to 4.
Mortimer
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:21 am

Mortimer wrote:I've written elsewhere here that bang for buck-style Motion 5 is the best bargain out there for motion graphics. However, you already have Motion 4 so the question really becomes, are you using it? I skipped Motion 4 and off the top of my head (just getting up in the AM too) I'd say you are not getting a lot by moving from 4 to 5 except some additional content and 64-bit. Now, with all my praises for Motion 5, I still think the downside is... it's slow.

If Compressor 3.5 is working for you I don't see any real reason to go to 4.

Its slow, is reason enough, what about that new air tool you'd like or need, that requires more CFM :?:
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Air compressors