How much copper

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

How much copper

Postby Neil Morgan » Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Hey Hub,

I just picked up an IR 7.5HP compressor sitting on an 80 gallon vertical tank plus an additional 80 gallon tank vertical tank that I was going to connect in series. Other than the increase in volume am I right in thinking the extra storage capacity will allow the air to cool a little before entering a pipe network, if so how much copper would you run after the second tank.

Cheers,

Neil
Neil Morgan
LPH-50

Re: How much copper

Postby Hub » Sun May 16, 2010 6:33 am

Neil Morgan wrote:Hey Hub,

I just picked up an IR 7.5HP compressor sitting on an 80 gallon vertical tank plus an additional 80 gallon tank vertical tank that I was going to connect in series. Other than the increase in volume am I right in thinking the extra storage capacity will allow the air to cool a little before entering a pipe network, if so how much copper would you run after the second tank.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,
First, your right about the cooling of the air by the dual receivers. That second receiver will take the place of a lot of pipe.
Now a question or three. Q 1 - how many people will be putting a demand on the air supply.

Q 2 - how far from the second receiver will the first use of air take place.

Q 3 - how far to the last drop (use of air) be

Q 4 - what air tools will be used - including spray guns

Q 5 - What will be the main use of the air?

Q 6 - are you planing on any water traps or air drying equipment

Armed with this information I can better answer your question.

Cheers,

"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Re: How much copper

Postby Neil Morgan » Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 am

Hub wrote:
Hi Neil,
First, your right about the cooling of the air by the dual receivers. That second receiver will take the place of a lot of pipe.
Now a question or three. Q 1 - how many people will be putting a demand on the air supply.

One occasionally two but the second would just be using a blow gun

Hub wrote:Q 2 - how far from the second receiver will the first use of air take place.

First outlet would be approximately eight feet away

Hub wrote:Q 3 - how far to the last drop (use of air) be

Fifty feet max

Hub wrote:Q 4 - what air tools will be used - including spray guns

Occasional DA or board sander but mostly spray guns - LPH400 and LPH440 being the largest

Hub wrote:Q 5 - What will be the main use of the air?

To supply the spray gun

Hub wrote:Q 6 - are you planing on any water traps or air drying equipment

A Cam air CT30 dessicant dryer followed by a finish line filter regulator - the large orange one

Hub wrote:Armed with this information I can better answer your question.

Cheers,

I was planning a 1" copper matrix using wall mounted 10' lengths , starting at the top and running down to a water trap of some description before rising up to the dryer.

Cheers,

Neil
Neil Morgan
LPH-50

HUB COMMENT

Postby Hub » Tue May 18, 2010 5:29 am

Okay,
The combination of low air demand and the extra receiver will allow the air to cool and condensate, eliminating the problem of any liquid water from going down stream. The small amount of compressed air humidity left will be removed by the Camair unit which should be placed at the drop where the most painting will take place. Normally I'd recommend the first drop not be closer than 25' to the compressor to give the air time to cool and condensate - but your combination eliminates that. So your piping matrix will work just fine.
If you'd like to see a typical installation post your E address on my PM and I'll send it.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Neil Morgan » Tue May 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks Hub, you have a PM
Neil Morgan
LPH-50

HUB ANSWER

Postby Hub » Wed May 19, 2010 5:17 am

Neil Morgan wrote:Thanks Hub, you have a PM

Okay Neil,